My attempt at giving the uninformed some insight in to the world of autism.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Who defines autism for me?

My stepson Mikey. He's 12 soon to be 13. I've been with him since he was about 5 or 6. He's changed a lot like any kid would only not in the normal ways. Yeah, he's gotten tall. Yeah, he's getting hair on his upper lip. But I still can't play basketball or baseball with him. And he may throw the football in the backyard some but it's next to impossible to teach him how to throw it properly.

The idea of teaching him how to swim makes our head spin. How do you teach someone something when they don't seem to understand what you're saying? And they can't tell you what they think you're saying because their vocabulary is limited to the most basic of words. We can't talk to Mikey in sentences. We can't have full blown conversations with him. We're lucky to be able to ask him questions like 'What do you want to drink?'. Even then we usually have to show him the choices because every time we ask him something he usually just repeats the last couple of words of the question. Example...'Mikey, do you want milk or juice?' Mikey: 'Juice pweez' 'Are you sure? Do you want juice or milk?' Mikey: 'Milk pweez' So we have to show him the two and he'll say 'WASO!' to one or the other. Waso in 'Mikey' means no. And we go through this with everything from pancakes or waffles to ice cream or donuts to McDonald's or Sonic.

You see, autism is a developmental disorder. Those that are afflicted by it have a hard time with development that children without autism learn naturally or more easily, and that's if they can learn it at all. Which a lot of times they can't.

But we love him like crazy. He's a great kid. He loves to swing. I love to see him swing because I built the swing for him. To see him enjoying it almost makes me cry. When he's happy he's got the biggest smile and the brightest eyes. And looks? Don't get me started. He's about the most handsome 13 year old boy you'd ever see. If he didn't have autism he'd probably be modeling right now. And remember, he's my stepson so I'm not biased. He's got his momma's Italian genes and it shows.

On the other hand, he can become quite unruly when upset. His mother and I have a saying, "Sometimes you just wanna eat him up, other times you just want to eat him." When he's in a foul mood everyone gets to share in his ire. Luckily we learned that he can usually be calmed down with bear hugs, usually administered by myself. Sometimes at the cost of a certain amount of physical pain inflicted by him. But that's ok. He's a boy and I'm a man and that means I do whatever it takes to make him feel better when he gets in a mood. He's bit me, choked me, smacked me and other little things but I'm still happy I'm in his life. You learn something from a child with special needs that you don't get to learn from other children. You learn just how unimportant your needs are compared to his.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ally said...

You nailed Mikey to a tee. You know how I feel about that boy and I'm sure you know how he feels about you. When I see him jump on your back and ask for "piggy pweez" and he's grinning from ear to ear, it tingles my heart.

I couldn't have asked for a better father for Mike & Kelly. Those kids
truly connect with you and we are such a happy family because of it.

Love you,

A

11:17 AM

 
Blogger Jenn said...

David,

Well, I don't know you - only what Ally says and what I read - but you said it all in your post when you said "I am a man" - you are a good man Dave - and all four of you are lucky to have found eachother - Did you read Ally's post about Holland? If not, you should read it - She "nails" it as well.

12:25 PM

 
Blogger Big D said...

Yeah, I read the Holland post. That was a very good analogy. I think sometimes about what it would be like having a son that wasn't autistic. I think it would be a lot harder. So in some ways we're lucky. In some ways he's lucky. He'll get to stay innocent and carefree longer than most boys. But hopefully he will be able to enjoy the pleasures of being an adult and a parent someday. Who knows?

1:31 PM

 
Blogger Robert P said...

Dave,
Congrats to you for stepping up to the plate and making a difference. We are going through nearly the challenges you are, but I want to assure you of something. Having the same chromosomes doesn't make it any easier - it's still frustrating.

7:20 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

This post made me choke up. What a lucky boy, with a lucky father. But hey peeps, don't be too hard on the Moms who are trying to "fix" it, sometimes it works! But I agree, it does you no good if you don't find acceptance first.

5:49 AM

 
Blogger crystal* said...

Well, I have to agree that autism blows! I'm 23 and I have a 3 year baby girl. She truly is the most beautiful girl in the whole world...go to my myspace and see for yourself...myspace.com/butterflyevans....I feel your pain, your sadness . I think what upsets me the most is knowing Emma's personality, knowing she's loving and funny, and just amazing. And no one else see her quiet like I do....I have faith in God, I know things will change for Emma. But that doesn't make me ignorant to what she's going through now. What our family is going through. Today has been especially hard, for no reason other than missing hearing her thoughts, missing her relationship with her little sister. A group of about 8 girls where having a party next door and because Emma's so cute they wanted to play with her...When they all came over she couldn't even look at them. They were trying so hard to give her party favors and talk to her....they eventually agve up and left.....why lord why Emma.....Well he as two people to heal now Emma and her mommy from a broken heart...Don't lose hope ....

8:28 AM

 
Blogger I'm a mom and a wee bit freaky too! said...

Wow.I typed in autism sucks and found your blog.Usually I googgle when it's been a particularly bad day and it has been.
My son is 11.He's very high functioning but it's a terrible disorder.There aren't really a lot of resources out there.Things can be maddening.
I wept reading your blog.Thanks for sharing.

3:41 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Well my autism sucks moment today is a bad one. Yes my son is the most handsome 8 yr old on the planet :) But all day he has been crying. I don't know what he wants and he can't tell me. Haven't heard him speak a word in 5 1/2 years, ever since that last damn round of vaccines we put him through. He can't poop can't ride a bike or play with anything or anyone. All day he's been crying and biting himself and I'm going insane watching him and making many peace offerings, I feel like I'm annoying him more trying to figure it out. God help us all.

4:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home